We wanted to share a few helpful updates with you as we navigate these unprecedented times together.
- The Coastal Alabama Legislative Day & Reception in Montgomery (originally scheduled for this Wednesday) has been POSTPONED. We hope to set a new date and will let you know as soon as possible. We want to thank our partners for working with us through the changes.
- With Louisiana issuing a “stay at home” order, we want to anticipate any issues that may arise should Alabama do the same. Manufacture Alabama has set up a registration form to document those manufacturers considered essential.
- Our team is working hard to monitor legislative efforts at the State and Federal levels and have put together this summary of actions to date. We are especially watchful for actions that impact our hotel, condo, restaurant, tourism and hospitality industries. Tourism in coastal Alabama generates nearly $6 billion of tourism spending annually (our region generates 40% of the state’s $15+ billion annual tourism spending).
- Alabama Senator Arthur Orr has drafted a bill that will protect Alabama businesses from Covid-19 lawsuits. While the Legislature is not in session currently, Orr’s bill would retroactively protect businesses as of March 1, 2020. Also, the State has announced that small retail businesses (and possibly others) will be given extensions to pay sales taxes.
- If you are a small business, there are resources available via the US Small Business Administration. The AL SBDC is hosting several webinars to review the process and provide operational counseling for small businesses. If you foresee a need to apply for these loans, we encourage you to start the process soon.
Please know that Andrew, Stacy and I are working (remotely) to monitor and report on these issues (and any other potential legislation) affecting coastal Alabama. Let us know if we can do anything to help you and your organization.